Blyth push on, are the Spartans heading for promotion?


Blyth Spartans are sitting pretty at the top of the Blue Square North. AFC Telford are still our main challengers but Gainsborough have dropped off and Guiseley and Alfreton have both had a distinct fall in grace.


I've also been busy in the transfer market, off-loading 8 players including "stars" Paul Brayson and Nicky Deverdics who, both at £450 per week, were a drain on my wage budget. They were also not performing and did not have the attributes to meet my growing standards. I really am pushing the boundaries of my wage budget  but I did bring in some replacements of better quality than I got rid of and on lower wages.


Full backs Declan McAvoy and Majid Mengouchi (profile below) were signed, as I wanted more options to change to 4-4-2 for Blyth's formation.


As I'd got rid of a couple of midfielders, Frenchman Stephane Potier and Canadian international Karim Chatilla (profile below) were brought in. Chatilla, with that convenient French passport has good defensive midfielder attributes in Passing, Work Rate and all the Physical Attributes, although we'll have to work on his Tackling.


Next is Alassane Mendy, a Norwegian/Senegalese striker who I have really high hopes for. At 21 he's young, but vitally has some great striker stats. 13 for Finishing, Heading and 12 for Dribbling, hopefully he'll just get better and better and continue his promising form (4 goals in 7 games) into the end of the season.


Unfortunately Blyth Spartans couldn't conjure an FA Cup 2nd Round win over League 1 Peterborough, crashing to a 3-0 home defeat. But after two defeates on the bounce at the turn of the year, Spartans' recent run of result have been excellent. 11 unbeaten,  32 goals, 5 conceded and 8 clean sheets. Including dispatching Blue Square Premier promotion hopefuls Crawley Town in a reply in the FA Trophy. Wembley (hopefully) here we come!


Lastly I was linked, by an unreliable newspaper story for the Daily Mirror to the Bradford City job. I would like to categorically go On The Record to say I am fully committed to Blyth Spartans. I intend to march up the English football pyramid and have Blyth as a professional club playing league football in two years. I am very excited about the talent here at Spartans and am looking forward to the continue the Blyth project.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...